Westin Resort, Langkawi, Malaysia
October 25, 2017
- The 2017 ASICS Sports Medicine Australia Conference is a multidisciplinary meeting held annually for professionals with an interest or a specialization in the prevention of lifestyle diseases through sports medicine, sports science, physical activity promotion and sports injury prevention. The Conference is interdisciplinary, and its purpose is to ‘to promote knowledge and practice the prevention of lifestyle diseases through sports science and sports medicine by providing an interactive educational forum of the highest standard so that the participation, performance and well-being of Australians engaged in sport and physical activity may be ultimately enhanced’.
- Sports Medicine Australia (SMA) is a peak national multi-disciplinary member organization that provides leadership in the areas of sports medicine, and the healthy performance and participation of Australians in physical activity and sport. SMA is widely acknowledged internationally as a leading multi-disciplinary sports medicine body.
- The safe participation of Australians in sport and healthy physical activity to prevent obesity and lifestyle diseases associated with inactivity is the primary concern for all involved with Sports Medicine Australia (SMA).
- SMA can provide expert information, advice and commentary on a diverse range of issues. These range from government policy and funding for program and activities which lead to the prevention of chronic diseases, sports medicine and community activity through to sports health, health promotion, gender equity, participation of the aged in sport, safe sport for children, to drugs in sport problems.
- SMA plays an active role in educating professionals and community members about safe participation in sport, recreation and physical activity. At a community level this is achieved through the delivery of the Safer Sport Program which provides parents, officials, coaches, trainers, teachers and participants with essential training and educational resources.
- SMA draws together all sports medicine, sports science and healthcare professionals. These groups include: orthopedic surgeons, physicians, doctors, physiotherapists, population health specialists, exercise physiologists, dietitians, academics, sports scientists, optometrists, dentists, podiatrists, psychologists, nurses, teachers and chiropractors.
- The 2017 ASICS Sports Medicine Australia Conference will be held at The Westin Langkawi – Malaysia, 25 – 28 October 2017. Steeped in legend, Langkawi is a 99 island archipelago with numerous sandy beaches and natural attractions. A duty-free port, the scenic, tranquil island is a favourite destination for visitors, both local and international.
- In 2007, Langkawi was given World Geopark status by UNESCO with three main conservation areas: Machincang Cambrian Geoforest Park, Kilim Karst Geoforest Park and Dayang Bunting Marble Geoforest Park (Island of the Pregnant Maiden Lake). These three parks are the most popular tourism areas within the Langkawi Geopark. For some breath-taking views of Langkawi’s rainforest canopy, there are cable cars to take visitors up to the famous Langkawi Sky Bridge.
- The island is also well known for its beaches. From the restaurants and bars of the pictureasque Pantai Chenang to the peace and quiet of the tranquil Pantai Kok, there’s no shortage of beaches to enjoy some fun in the sun at Langkawi.
- The Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport(JSAMS), published by Sports Medicine Australia (SMA), is the major refereed research publication on sport medicine and science in Australia. The Journal provides high quality, original research papers to keep members and subscribers informed of developments in their key areas. Produced monthly, it reflects SMA’s commitment to encouraging world-class research within the industry, and its commitment to the continuing education of members.